Microsoft SharePoint Server 2019 is the newest iteration of the software, and will be released sometime in the second half of 2018. Although Microsoft hasn’t released all the details yet, it’s good for organizations to start looking at their existing systems and make a plan to migrate. Today’s we’ve got some good tips to help you prepare to migrate to SharePoint 2019.
- 1. Take Stock of Your AssetsFirst, know what you’re moving. That includes everything from users to custom solutions to the size of your data. Make note if there’s any processes that could be upgraded in the move, or new workflows that could take advantage of new features. Flag any processes that use features no longer available in the new system.
- 2. Update your SiteIf you’re moving content databases, make sure your SharePoint instantiation is up-to-date with the latest patches and service packs. This is especially crucial if you’re working with a SharePoint 2010 site that may have to jump to 2013 before moving to the newest version. Also, make sure you know which SharePoint version you have, as you can’t migrate an Enterprise version to a Standard version, or vice versa.
- 3. Clean your DataAll of us have information on our file storage system that’s duplicative and out of date. Migrating to a new system can be a good opportunity to do some clean-up. After all, why pay to move content you no longer need? Using your local records management requirements (or what you need to hold onto for legal reasons), put together a checklist for data. If it’s a presentation from five years ago on a project you no longer use—perhaps it’s time to delete it.
- 4. Invest in User TrainingAs more information comes out about SharePoint 2019, Microsoft will provide videos, tutorials, and more of the new system. Begin socializing the upcoming migration with your team, management, and employees. It’s a good time to poll them to make sure you’ve got a list of all custom solutions and assets.
- 5. Look for Migration Partners Depending on the complexity of your SharePoint, you may want to look into having migration partners to guide you. Investing in a team of experts may help avoid many of the pitfalls that can come with a SharePoint upgrade. A good SharePoint consulting firm like eSoftware can also provide user training, additional custom solutions, and can manage your migration end-to-end.
While we don’t know everything that SharePoint 2019 has to offer, organizations can still start making plans to migrate to the newest system. By taking stock of what they have and clearing out what they don’t, businesses can better utilize their migration investment dollars. Taking the time to educate users, either through stakeholder management or through investing in a SharePoint consulting firm like eSoftware is also a good idea. That way, when the new software is available for businesses, yours will be ready to make the leap smartly and efficiently.
At eSoftware, we can help boost your productivity, become more efficient and see all the Microsoft 365 platforms have to offer.. Call us today or click here to set up your free consultation! 1-800-682-0882