Top Features of the Microsoft 365 Defender
Microsoft 365 Defender is an enterprise defense suite that is able to natively coordinate prevention, detection, investigation, and response across identities, endpoints, applications, and email in order to provide integrated protection against sophisticated attacks. With this solution, security professionals are able to easily stitch together any threat signals that each of these products receives.
From there, they can determine the entire scope and the impact of the immediate threat. They will also be able to identify what it has affected, how it was able to enter the environment, and how it is currently impacting the organization. This solution takes automatic action in order to either stop or prevent the attach and self-heal any affected mailboxes, user identifies, and endpoints.
Microsoft 365 Defender Services
Microsoft 365 Defender services protect:
- Endpoints with Defender for Endpoint– Defender for Endpoint is essentially an endpoint platform that helps with preventative protection, post-breach detection, response, and even automated investigation.
- Assets with Defender Vulnerability Management– This feature delivers continuous asset visibility, built-in remediation tools, and intelligent risk-based assessments in order to help both your IT and security teams prioritize and address any critical vulnerabilities and misconfigurations across your organizations.
- Email and Collaboration with Defender for Office 365– Defender for office 365 words to safeguard your organization against malicious threats posed by links, email messages, and collaboration tools.
- Identifies with Defender for Identify and Azure Active Directory Identity Protection– Defender for Identity takes advantage of your on-premises Active Directory Domain Services signals in order to identify, detect, and investigate any threats, malicious insider actions directed toward your organization, and compromised identities.
- Applications with Microsoft Defender for Cloud Apps– This tool for Cloud Apps is a great cross-SaaS solution that brings strong data controls, deep visibility, and enhanced threat protection to all of our cloud apps.
Microsoft 365 Defender’s unique cross-product layer increases the individual service components to:
- Enable security teams to perform effective and detailed threat hunting across both Office and Endpoint data.
- Automate responses to compromise by triggering self-healing for any impacted assets through automated redemption.
- Narrate the entire story of the attack across product alerts, context, and behaviors for security teams b joining data on suspicious events, alerts, and impacted assets to incidents.
- Help protect you against any attacks and coordinate defensive responses across the services through automated actions and signal sharing.
Microsoft 365 Defender cross-product features include:
- Cross-product single pane of glass in the Microsoft 365 Defender portal– A middle view of all information on impacted assets, detection, automated actions taken, and any related evidence in a single pane and a single queue.
- Combined incidents queue– To help security professionals focus on what is actually critical by ensuring that the full attack scope, automated remediation actions, and impacted assets are all grouped together and surfaced in a timely manner.
- Automatic response to threats– Critical information is shared between the Microsoft 365 Defender products in real-time to help stop the aggression of the attack.
- Self-healing for all compromised devices, mailboxes, and user identities– Microsoft 365 Defender uses AI-powered automation playbooks and actions to remediate any impacted assets back to a secure state. This tool works to leverage any automatic remediation capabilities of the suite products in order to ensure that any impacted assets are automatically remediated where possible.
- Cross-product threat hunting– Security teams can easily leverage their unique organizational knowledge to hunt for any signs of compromise by creating their very own custom queries over the raw data that has been collected by the various protection protocols.
What You Can Expect from Microsoft 365 Defender
So, what can you expect from Microsoft 365 Defender? Well, all of the security content that you use in the Office 365 Security and Compliance Center and the Microsoft 365 security enter can now be found easier than ever before in the Microsoft 365 Defender portal. This portal helps security teams investigate and respond to attacks by bringing in signals from different workloads into one set of unified experiences for:
- Threat analytics
- Incidents and alerts
- Action center
Microsoft 365 Defender emphasizes on clarity, unity, and common goals as it merges Microsoft Defender for Endpoint and Microsoft Defender for Office 365. This merge was essentially based on the priorities listed below. It was made without the need to sacrifice the capabilities that each security suite brought to the combination of:
- Feature parity with other workloads
- Common building blocks
- Common entities
- Common terminology
The Home page, in this instance, shows off many common cards that security teams need. At a glance, this information allows you to keep up to date with the latest activities in your organization. This great tool brings together signals from various different sources in order to present a holistic view of your Microsoft 365 environment.
These cards fall into these categories:
- Apps– Gain an insight into exactly how cloud apps are being used in terms of your organization.
- Identities– Monitor the identities in your organization and keep track of any risky or suspicious behaviors.
- Devices– Get all of the up-to-date information on breach activity, alerts, and any other threats that may be present on your devices.
- Data– Help track any user activity that could lead to unauthorized data disclosure.
The Bottom Line
Microsoft 365 is an excellent solution that allows your business to reach a standard of safety that has never been reached before. It is jam-packed with many different features that are not only powerful, but incredibly user-friendly and simple to use. All in all, this tool is exactly what you need to easily stitch together any threat signals that each of these products receives.
If you need any help or guidance planning, training, or implementing this within your business, contact us today and speak with one of our many intelligent Microsoft specialists. We are always here to help you out in your time of need. Our team has an excellent range of knowledge and a track record in providing the best training sessions that are customized to your own needs.
Enjoy this article? Share us on social media below or on your favorite sites.